Your Reading List

Quebec seeks talks with pork sector

By 
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Published: September 19, 2007

Seeking to calm what one major farm leader has called an “explosive” situation, Quebec Agriculture Minister Laurent Lessard today named longtime provincial civil servant Guy Coulombe as his representative for talks with stakeholders in the province’s pork industry.

Coulombe is to lead the discussions between the industry’s principal players and file a report for Lessard by March 3, the province announced in a release.

Through these talks, Lessard said, it will be possible to lay the foundations for development of the industry and allow it to remain one of the pillars of the agri-food sector and provincial economy.

Read Also

(Photo courtesy Canada Beef Inc.)

Feed Grains Weekly: Price likely to keep stepping back

As the harvest in southern Alberta presses on, a broker said that is one of the factors pulling feed prices lower in the region. Darcy Haley, vice-president of Ag Value Brokers in Lethbridge, added that lower cattle numbers in feedlots, plentiful amounts of grass for cattle to graze and a lacklustre export market also weighed on feed prices.

The industry has made clear it’s in need of some positive developments, in view of recent comments by Laurent Pellerin, president of the province’s leading farm group, l’Union des producteurs agricoles (UPA).

Quoted in the farmers’ paper La terre de chez nous at recent hearings of a provincial commission on the future of farming, Pellerin described the hog industry as a pot about to blow up, as hog farmers face a surplus of animals stemming from the recent closure of two Olymel slaughter plants in the province.

Pellerin said in early September that the surplus had already shown up in prices for slaughter hogs, which had dropped within that week from $139 to $124 per hundredweight.

explore

Stories from our other publications